In 1862/63 the Dutch Reformed Congregation of Zundert bought an old house next to the Protestant church on the advice of Vincent van Gogh’s father. Theodorus van Gogh collected sixty guilders within the community of Zundert to have the building refurbished. He himself contributed ten guilders. Thus, thanks to Vincent’s father, the house could be saved from demolition and converted into a sexton’s house for the church of which he was pastor.
In 2008 the building was once again in poor condition and was in danger of being demolished. The Van GoghGalerie & Gastatelier Foundation has prevented the proposed demolition and has drawn up a plan to renovate the building and give it a new meaningful interpretation in relation to Vincent van Gogh. With the support of the province of North Brabant and the municipality of Zundert, the sexton’s house has been completely restored and is now used as a guest house and gallery for contemporary art.
A new guest studio has been built next to the sexton’s house from Van Gogh’s time. This studio is always made available for a period to an artist, from home or abroad, who ‘follows in the footsteps of Van Gogh’ and therefore creates work inspired by this location. The artists stay in the sexton’s house.
The Van Gogh artist-in-residence project has been running since May 2011. In 2021 and 2022 guests will be:
– Matijs van de Kerkhof (Jan 2021)
– Ema Vanekova (Feb 2021)
– Betsy Green (March 2021)
– Rachel Gruijters (April 2021)
– Alexandra van Dongen (May 2021)
– Jochem Rotteveel (June 2021)
– Steven Peters Caraballo (July 2021)
– Hyojun Hyun (Aug 2021)
– Cedric ter Bals (Sept 2021)
– Jeanine Vloemans (Oct 2021)
– Gam Bodenhausen (Nov 2021)
– Rainer Fetting (Dec 2021)
– Joey Sepers (Jan 2022), winner of the Van Gogh AiR Prize | St Joost – School of Art & Design
– Stijn Kriele (Feb 2022)
– Mike Dings (March 2022), i.c.v. jump!
– Koen Hauser (April 2022), in collaboration with BredaPhoto
– Doreen Wittenbols (May 2022)
– CASBOOK collective (June 2022)
– Emmy Bergsma (July 2022)
– Jenetta de Konink (Aug 2022)
– Stella van Voorst (Sept 2022)
– Thibaut Huchard (Oct 2022)
– Mari Stoel (Nov 2022)
– winner AKV St Joost Van Gogh AiR Prize (Dec 2022)
At the end of each working period, the artists hold an exhibition in the Van GoghGalerie.
For more information:
The ‘Van Gogh Artist-in-residence’ is made possible in part thanks to the province of North Brabant